Thursday, October 22, 2009

How's this for deep?

I realized something this morning, sitting on my bed lacing up my shoes: I'm horrifically uninteresting. I don't have any amazing talents to amaze people with, or at least not with anything I'm proud of. People say that they like my writing, but I don't enjoy my writing. This seems to correlate with a few other things that people would consider "talents."

It's about time I do something worth being impressed about, something even I can't believe I've done. I'm not talking about one big project, or a series of little ones. I mean it is time that I take accountability for challenging myself.
I've decided to stop being timid about the things I do. I seem to only take the plunge with little things - the goals I know I'm capable of accomplishing. That's not the way to live a life you can look back on while you're skydiving from 3,000 feet in the air while you're 75, about to take your last breath and say "I'm happy that I lived the way I did. Now bring it gravity!" I was always (if you excuse the overused analogy) dipping my toe in to the pool; I never really immersed myself with anything. I mean, I've just came up with this epiphany, so I can't say why, but I do know that it's something I need to fix.

So, I'm going to take a dive in the following ways:

School - I've been lagging in work and study. It's time I realize that I'm paying a lot of money for college, and damnit, I want my money's worth.

Tae Kwan Do - That's right ladies and gentleman, I started Tae Kwan Do two days ago. I enjoyed it a lot, but I found myself coming up with excuses to not follow through on it. Well, no more excuses. I love the way it feels doing what I did last Tuesday, and I can't wait to continue it.

Writing - I'm a Creative Writing major (whatever that means) and I don't even write that much. I've even stopped creating stories in my head like I used to...not in a crazy I-come-up-with-stories-in-my-head-and-create-an-alternate-reality-to-slip-away-into kind of way, but I don't even have ideas for interesting things to write. Now, it's time I take it seriously and begin telling the stories I know I can.

Finally,
People - To be honest, I'm still working on this one. I've noticed that I don't invest too much in people, which some might say is a good thing, but I feel it leaves me feeling isolated at times. I'll see where to go with this one after I get to work on the others, because I've got a feeling they all mix together.

There it is.
This blog really is helpful. I have class in thirty minutes, and I'm genuinely excited for it.
Thanks for giving me a place to finally spill out what needed to be said blogosphere!

Oh, by the way, I'm going to start posting poems on my blog soon. They almost all come from class, but I they are some ditties that can really be enjoyed. That'll be a lot of fun.

Peace and brimstone amigos.

3 comments:

  1. Yay Eddie...

    You didn't mention that you are the bassist in one of the best bands to ever have come out of 29...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really admirable.
    i wont knock self improvement but for the record i have honestly always thought you were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just noticed your comment. Self-improvement is way harder than I thought it would be. Haven't been as successful as I thought it would be. Eh. Thanks though, I'm glad you find me interesting. =D

    ReplyDelete