Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cubierto En Sangre

Weeeeeeeeell,
I don't really have anything to say tonight, I just really wanted to post another poem that I wrote recently. I also want to make mention of a book that is well-known, and that I've finally forced my mother to read. The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz Ph.D. is a book I recommend to everyone. I guess I just wanted to throw that out there while I was here.


Cubierto En Sangre – 12/14/09

“I’m taking consejos from a 12-year-old.”

“I age well, like my mother.”

Como tu madre,” a whisper crosses his eyes,

his lips fighting against his will.

Lo hare. I’ll fight back. I’m going to kill them all.”

A smile breaks across a sea of wrinkles

and an old man will die happy knowing

that his lineage is one to be proud of.

Cubierto en sangre” he chuckles as he waves his hand across

my forehead.

Matalos. Todos.”

I will kill them all.



I rather enjoy this piece, mostly because it is the first poem I wrote in Spanish. It is my "native" language, but I am not from a Hispanic country. I was born in America, I am an American, and I love my country. However, I understand that the most patriotic thing I can do for my country is question the things it does.
So, the poem reflects the anger that many people feel about how they are being treated in a place that is supposed to be home. The feelings that are held when you are betrayed by those you are supposed to trust. It's a conversation between an old man and his grandson. I'm not sure what I could say for the back story really, but that's the description for you. Any questions? Just let me know, and I'll try to answer them. Thanks, and enjoy.
=D

No comments:

Post a Comment